Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:45:03 -0700
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "'Polytropon'" <freebsd@edvax.de>, <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

FreeBSD
> 10.
>
> Ah, play, I forgot to mention that I also use my desktop for gaming,
> egoshooters primarily, even from foreign platforms which have stopped
> being able to run those games. :-)
>

> > NOTE: I use "xsm" as a tool for choosing which window manager I want
> > to run during login and I use "xdm" as a login screen.
>
> You could use wdm to combine those; wdm is the "WindowMaker Display
> Manager", it looks like xdm, or more specific, a bit like the Solaris
display
> manager, where you enter your login information _and_ can select which
> window manager (or desktop
> environment) to launch for the current session.
>
> There is a less elegant solution with xdm: instead of entering your
session
> with pressing ENTER after entering the password, press PF1 for "failsafe".
> Make sure your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession launches one controlling terminal
(e.
> g. "exec xterm") from which you can then start the window manager you
> want to try. Done testing? Exit the window manager. I won't log you out -
this
> is done by entering "exit" in the controlling terminal.

Well, XSM gives me a list when I log in or I can select "Failsafe" which
gives me
a single XTerm.

Never knew that XDM had a fail-safe. I think if I read what you wrote
correctly,
XDM can be told to (by pressing ... F1?) not load the .xsession file?

Otherwise I'm a bit confused... I use XSM in the fashion you describe (I
launch
a failsafe, test a window manager, quit it, then use xsm to create a
profile, log
out, back in, and can now select it from a menu.
--
Devin