Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 2015 08:50:19 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg-static: Insufficient privileges to add packages
References:  <31714E44-6041-4B5F-BDB0-FA7131ED7EB4@langille.org> <CAOc73CCDGjyzio6z7F1PQ0ttwrmFtbvHz1s7w-TWi5aKLoyb1A@mail.gmail.com> <CAOc73CD0XREAW0O_pMp7nB2vqE-MoHAAbKsYcLQcT0PC6jT%2BVA@mail.gmail.com> <7A1D4136-BBEF-4726-B1E2-51CF3DD285C2@langille.org> <CAOc73CCKUq2E2ign1R9h9tGRm-dEfd18O-rRE3ca52Qj_XrnUw@mail.gmail.com> <20150421163454.GA40188@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net> <CAOc73CDZi0gZhG6BtxSJjgg4j-M5dbkVZcAzUzpmvmb5oPOC1Q@mail.gmail.com> <20150421235125.GD40188@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net>

On 22 April 2015 at 07:51, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > I found the reason for Dan by checking the logs,  If I could see your own
>> > logs
>> > then I will tell you where you mistake is.
>> >
>> > actually you are having poudriere building as a user (internally to the
>> > jail)
>> > which is a very good thing as it allows to catch things like this :D)
>> >
>> > I mean it is dropping roots priviledges to build, stage and make package.
>> >
>> > but still try to install a dependency there, probably because the
>> > dependency
>> > line you have in your port is buggy. In dan case he was testing if
>> > py27-django>=1.5 but was refering to the www/py-django16 port which result
>> > in a
>> > package named py27-django16 which is not py27-django aka the test will
>> > always
>> > fail and the ports tree will try to reinstall again and again even in
>> > phases
>> > when it cannot due to lack of priviledges
>> >
>> > As a conclusion the bug is in the port you are testing not in pkg, neither
>> > in
>> > poudriere.
>> >
>> > If you show me the logs of your own build I will tell you what is your
>> > mistake.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Bapt
>> >

>> Thanks for your help Bapt. You are right, it was an issue with the port
>> dependency list. In my case the library had changed from plplotd.so to
>> plplot.so (now without the 'd'). I have fixed that in the LIB_DEPENDS line
>> and the problem is fixed.
>>
>> Trying to debug this issue took some time, because the error message was
>> about permissions and I didn't make the connection was with unsatisfied
>> dependencies.
>>
>> Could we perhaps add an additional check somewhere in the process that
>> informs you the dependencies have not been correctly satisfied? Do you
>> think this extra check belongs in poudriere or the ports infrastructure?
>
> Improvement for that has been added into the ports tree and taken in account by
> poudriere in latest poudriere-devel 3.1.99.20150421_1 by Bryan
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt

Thanks Bapt and Bryan - looks like a helpful change!