Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:56:25 -0700
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Importing a foreign passwd file to FreeBSD

Hi again. I'm setting up a new FreeBSD system to replace an old
NetBSD one. I want to import all the users and their passwords. As an
experiment on a test box, I tried importing the master.passwd and
passwd file from the NetBSD box, that FreeBSD won't let me log in; I
always get "Login incorrect". Nothing is logged in /var/log/anything,
so I don't know why the login attempts are failing. The users' home
directories are created, and they're in proper groups.

Is this possible to do?