Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:30:05 -0500
From:      Ben WIlliams <williamsl@Home.Com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel compile succeeds but is unusable

   I have a Pentium 100 that I am trying to compile a kernel for
3.2-RELEASE on and it doesn't seem to matter -what- I try to put in
the config file but whenever I try to boot from a custom kernel it
dies right after it finds the npx. The step that immediately follows
this while booting off the GENERIC kernel is it installs the Pentium
F00F hack. Instead with whatever custom kernel I try to boot I get the
(in)famous "supevisor read, page not present" crash. Following the
instructions at "Making the most of a kernel panic"
( http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/book.html#AEN3789 ) I got this:
(c019a63b was the instruction pointer)

bash-2.03# nm kernel.DEBUG | grep -i "c019a63b"
bash-2.03# nm kernel.DEBUG | grep -i "c019a63"
bash-2.03# nm kernel.DEBUG | grep -i "c019a6"
c019a648 t cnuninit
c019a6a0 t sysctl_kern_consmute
bash-2.03#

So this tell me the fault was either in cnuninit or
sysctl_kern_consmute. I'm stuck now. I don't know what to look in or
what to look for.

--
 Ben                          mailto:williamsl@Home.Com