Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:20:21 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, Bad Mamma Jamma <mike@fbuc.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup question

On Saturday 15 September 2001 11:10 am, Jim Durham wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Bad Mamma Jamma wrote:
> > Hey everyone, I've posted this before this week, but it seems now it was
> > very badly timed, so perhaps not may people saw it.  If anyone can offer
> > any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it!  I'm running 4.1-RELEASE
> > and trying to cvsup.  When I do, I get this message:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXaw.so.6" not found
> >

> > Can anyone clue me in as to what to do next?
>
> Well, since no one else replied, I'll take a shot...
>
> Sounds like either libXaw.so.6 is missing or that you need to
> run ldconfig to include it in the system libraries search path.
>

> libXaw.so.6 should be in /usr/X11R6/lib for the elf version.
> There is an a.out version in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout and a linux
> version in /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib .
>
> So, my suggestion is try "ldconfig -R /usr/X11R6/lib" .
>
> Since libXaw is part of X, you might try just running
> "cvsup -L 1 -g <supfile>", which will make cvsup run in
> text mode. Then, hopefully, when you rebuild your system,
> it will fix some of your problems.
>
> -Jim

Another suggestion is to uninstall and rebuild without the GUI.  IMHO the gui
interface is at best worthless and a waste of resources. It's not even easier
to use than the terminal mode!

Just  do a make clean and recompile with: make  -DWITHOUT_X11

Beech

Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510