Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:46:14 -0400
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        "M.G.G. Pillai" <pillai@mgg.pc.my>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XyWrite AND FreeBSD

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 06:33:51PM +0800, M.G.G. Pillai wrote:
> I have just turned away from Windows 3.1 to FreeBSD, but I find I cannot
> use my preferred wordprocessing software, XyWin 4.01.  I am told there
> is a way to do so, but so far, after a month of using FreeBSD, I have
> not been able to.  I wonder if you could help.
>
> I have downloaded StarWriter3.1 and LyX, but I do not want to switch to
> another wordprocessor if I can stick to XyWrite, which I have used for
> nearly ten years.
>
> Could you help?
>
> M.G.G. Pillai
> pillai@mgg.pc.my

	Have you heard about WINE and tried running it?  If so, you can
try posting the kinds of errors you get or the problems you are facing.
The key here is /detail/.  The first graf ("I am told there is a way
to do so, but so far, after a month of using FreeBSD, I have not been
able to.") doesn't really explain if you have made the attempt or not, and
what exacltly is wrong.  So, you'll need to provide details of what went
wrong.  But, I really don't think a lot of people are familiar with WINE
here (I'm not), but give it a shot -- you never know.
	Truth be known, you are much better off expending the effort
to learn a new word processor/editor than struggling with WINE.
	Sorry I wasn't much help, but what really prompted me to respond
is that I am one of the few people left on earth using XyWrite
(DOS Version) -- which we use at work. Truthly, it's all we need, but
it's pretty ancient (then again, so is `vi').

	@melior:

	<B>By ROB<P>

	:)
--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
	"Am I the only one that cringes every time I hear somebody refer