Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:46:52 -0500
From:      "Mark" <meinreinhof@mep.nist.gov>
To:        "Questions FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS Server, Linux NIS Client

NIS server
FreeBSD 4.4

NIS Client
RedHat 7.2

I believe I have that crypto problem the how-to talked about but don't know
how to correct it. The RedHat box mounts the home dir from FreeBSD box and
is able to read the passwd file. I can tell because instead of the UID (if
ypbind didn't start), I get the actual usernames in a ls -l.

Now, when I logon to the RedHat box with a username that is on the NIS
server and not in the local passwd file, the login fails.

Since FreeBSD defaults to MD5, what does RedHat default to? If RedHat uses
DES, how do I get FreeBSD to use DES and what happens to the passwd file? I
noticed RedHat has a passwd and shadow file combo, but FreeBSD does not.
Could this be one of the problems? Could RedHat be switched to use MD5?

A search of the mailing list archive showed that sysinstall could be used to
put DES onto FreeBSD. The email was circa 2000. I couldn't find in the 4.4
sysinstall anything about DES encryption. I did notice something about
crypto, but not sure if that was correct. I do remember from the older
installs a screen that asked if you wanted DES or Kerberos.

Thanks
-Mark