Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:40:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Dell Inspiron 5000 installation

On Saturday, 29 April 2000 at 13:43:18 -0400, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> I just got a new Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook and have already installed
> Windows 98 on the first 60% of the 12Gig disk.  Now I want to install
> FreeBSD 4.0-Release in the rest 40% of the disk. I met the following
> problems:
>
> (1) After booting from the two floppies, I try to do fdisk in
> sysinstall.  But it says "no disk".

What exactly do you mean here?  Did you go into the partition editor,
or did you start fdisk by some other means?

> (2) I can not let the notebook to boot from CD-ROM.  I have the first
> bootable CD-ROM that I used on desktop PCs with no problems.  I can not
> press DEL to bring up the BIOS screen during bootup.

I don't believe this is the way to do it.  I've just installed FreeBSD
4.0 on an Inspiron 7500, and had no difficulties.  But to get to the
setup menu I had to press F2 during bootup, as described in the
manual.  I'd expect that the 5000 is similar.

> (3) I want to configure X-windows on this notebook.  How do I choose the
> frequence for the monitor and resolution for the video card?  I read from
> the XFree86 site that incorrect setting could damage monitors.

I don't know if you can.  I had to get AcceleratedX.  I have the
1400x1050 screen, but even without that I doubt it would work: XFree86
setup just hung the machine.  I'm pretty sure that the 5000 has the
same video hardware as the 7500.

> (4) Is the Xircom CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 card supported in
> 4.0?

No.  Work is in progress to get CardBus support into 5.0-CURRENT, but
at the moment you're out of luck.  You can't even put the cards in and
not use them: I put in a 3Com CardBus card, and it crashed pccardd.

Greg