Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 09:27:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Chris Hardie <chris@summersault.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysterious ffs_clusteralloc kernel panics: need help!

On Saturday, 22 July 2000 at  8:13:45 -0500, Chris Hardie wrote:

>> You need the kernel with debugging symbols, which you appear to have.
>> But this isn't the one.  Take a look at
>> http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html for further details.
>
> Sorry about that.  Here's the output of a backtrace from a kernel
> compiled with debugging turned on:
>
> (kgdb) bt
> #0  0xc0163a5b in boot ()
> #1  0xc0163ce0 in at_shutdown ()
> #2  0xc015f9e0 in lockmgr ()
> <snip>
> #24 0x80480e9 in ?? ()

No, this kernel doesn't have symbols.

> I'm afraid it doesn't look much different than the one I previously
> sent, so I suspect perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  I'm a little
> out of my league here.  I'll attempt to recompile and install the
> kernel from scratch with debugging on, and then let you know what
> happens when it crashes next Wednesday or Thursday (crashed this
> morning at 3:30, right on "schedule", grrr).

I'd assume that you compiled with -g and then installed the stripped
version of the kernel.  That's fine, you just need to find the
unstripped version, which will be in
/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL/kernel.debug, for your value of
MYKERNEL.  This is described in the web page I refer to above.

Greg