Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:21:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new command: doconfig

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I would like to add this as a new command to FreeBSD.  I mentioned it a
> > few months back when I originally wrote it, and received positive
> > Digital Unix.  'doconfig' is basically a simplifier for kernel compiling,
> > by wrapping 'vi /sys/i386/conf/MINE; config; cd ../../compile/MINE; make
> > depend; make; make install; reboot' or whatnot into a simpler, nicer
> > interface.. For instance, I just recompiled my kernel with (the GLACIER
> > config file already existed):
>
> My only problem with this is that it didn't go far enough.  Yes, it
> front-ends a few steps, but only a few of the ones you'd expect in a
> configuration front-end tool.
>
> It should also build the configuration file through a complete
> interactive Q&A process if you don't have one.

I agree :)

The only reason I didn't do it, was because I've never been able to find
out if anybody is working on this already...  If not, then perhaps we can
make one.  I have a few ideas on various modular ways this could be
implemented.

As it is right now, 'doconfig' actually runs an external program to
'auto-generate' the initial file.  The external program does nothing other
than sed the GENERIC kernel, but only because of the above reasons.

So I guess the question is, what is there right now for auto generating a
kernel config file?

-Brandon