Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:39:27 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Alexandre E. Derevyanko" <der@rusig.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to limit sendmail -q processing only messages <= N kb ?

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 09:44:49AM +0400, Alexandre E. Derevyanko wrote:

> It is correct, and works nice, but it is not my problem. Really, I
> already run fetchmail with --limit option.  The problem is sendmail,
> that queue outgoing mail. I need to queue all mail and send at daytime
> only mail smaller than some limit. It is vital to deliver small
> messages fast - really, it is office configuration, not home. At home
> I can deliver mail only at night without limits.

I don't know of any way to force sendmail to process only messages up to
a certain size.  Thoughts about a script that stops sendmail and splits
an existing queue into two different queues, which are then processed
separately come to mind, though.  I haven't tested what I'm suggesting
here, it's only what I could come up with until now.

You can leave sendmail put it's jobs in /var/spool/mqueue by default,
and have a cron job run through the queue files, and split them in two
other queues, say /var/spool/mqueue.0 and /var/spool/mqueue.1 depending
on the size of the dfXXX files.  Then, you can periodically call

	# sendmail -q -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.0

to run through the queue of `small' messages, and once a day run through
the queue of large messages with

	# sendmail -q -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.1

Care should be taken when moving files between queues, though.  But, I'm
sure you do not need to be told about this :-)

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public key: finger keramida@ceid.upatras.gr