Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 09:41:05 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Robert LoVerso <loverso@opengroup.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c589d and ep0

> 	What is the timeframe with pulling all the PAO code into some
> 	official branch of FreeBSD?

That's not going to happen as long as I'm responsible for the laptop
support.  No offense to the Nomads, but there are *huge* kluges in the
code where the correct fix wasn't even attempted, but instead a 'quick'
fix which fixed the problem (but hid the real prolblem) was made.
Sometimes these fixes affect desktop units, so applying the patches
whole-sale could often times negatively affect the stability of
'standard' FreeBSD installations.

In the past I've fixed what I felt to be the worse offenders, but the
entire 'pccard' daemon code really needs to be re-written to make it
much simpler than it is now.  The original author did a wonderful job,
but he never finished it so there are portions of unused code,
undocumented code, and such that have been extended in ways that are
probably incorrect.  Now that we understand things a bit better, lots of
those extensions aren't necessary, so we should be able to simplify
things alot more thus making the PAO code less 'obtrusive'.

Nate