Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 02:18:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        FreeBSD-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 & splimp

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I was trying to bring an Alpha with a kernel from 11/15/99 to current, and
> I can't seem to get kernel right.  I see that there were a lot of config
> changes, so perhaps I don't have my config file in sync, but it looks
> roughly like GENERIC, so I will toss the diag information in your laps.
>
> The kernel boots, but it can't find the onboard Intel Pro-100 (it's a
> Intel DK440LX, integrated everything).  The boot message tells me:
>
> link_elf: symbol splimp undefined
>
> This just stops the network from working, so I'm not in trouble (I have
> the old kernel cached away too).  Seeing as I didn't find the ax0 device
> in GENERIC, I took it out of my config file, and this causes more
> confusion, because the ax0 device IS being caught on the dmesg, but the
> fxp0 device (which is in the new config, instead of ax0) isn't being
> caught.

Followup to my own question, because I just found out that dmesg on the
Alpha doesn't clear out the old boot message, and when I made real sure
that I *was* reading the right dmesg, ax0 isn't showing up.  Neither is
fxp0, and the splimp message is still there, so most of the question still
holds.  I'm getting the link error on boot, and fxp0 isn't being seen on
probe.

> I haven't done a make world with the new kernel yet, I'm running on
> somewhat old userland, could that have some effect?  No kld's, that can't
> be it.  Old bootblocks?

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |