Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 00:09:20 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolv.conf question

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Something in the daily scripts seemed to eliminate the
> > first line, containing the local nameserver. I say this
> > because the file date was 1:59am, the time that periodic/daily
> > runs. I put it back every day, and the next day, it was gone again.
> >
> > I hunted quite a while in the scripts, but couldn't
> > figure out what was doing this?
>
> Nothing should.
>
> > Just for the sake of my curiosity, what was modifiying
> > resolv.conf? Is this a security feature?
>
> No idea.  Are you running DHCP there by any chance?

Nope. There's an NT box on the LAN doing DHCP.

The 3.3 Box is a local server on a disconnected LAN talking
to a "remote" server that spools mail, which is grabbed by
fetchmail. We are running PPP on-demand to the external
server via a dial-up to an ISP. However, PPP only holds the
line up from 8am-8pm and this is happening at 1:59am, coinciding
with the "periodic daily" scripts from crontab.

Seemed wierd to me..
-
Jim Durham