Date:      11 Aug 2001 09:32:10 -0000
From:      dev-null@no-id.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Web Browsers (is there hope?)

Hello

Is it just me or do the web browsers under FreeBSD
(and Unix in general) just SUCK?

Why can't I surf the Net without a damn browser
crash every 5-20 minutes?

Netscape is just a fucking lost cause. Despite
the three different generations I've tried
(4.0, 4.7, 6 -- both FreeBSD and Linux versions
where applicable), the developers have not
learned how to stop the frigging thing from
freezing completely and pulling down window
managers and X with it. Try chatting on
Yahoo! Chat with it; the applet causes Netscape
to freeze every 5-10 minutes.

Ok, so I looked for alternatives. Ah! Opera!
That seemed like a plan. Lo and behold! A
fucking segfault within 15 minutes for no
apparent reason whatsoever. And again.
And again. And again. At least it's kind
enough to offer to resume at the page
where it crashed. Unacceptable.

This is where I'm at now. Confused. Looking
for an answer. I need a browser that is
actually STABLE and supports the following
features minimally:

o HTML (duh)
o Images (to preempt the lynx smartass)
o JavaScript
o Java (ESSENTIAL)
o CSS
o SSL/TLS

I'd also like it to have plugin extensibility
for stuff like flash, but that's not essential.

I can use Internet Explorer or the win32 version
of Netscape for hours on end without so much a
blink, but that is an unacceptable solution.

Suggestions?

--
This message has been sent via an anonymous mail relay at www.no-id.com.