Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:42:06 -0800
From:      bmah@acm.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_5 Branch : January 21 ?

If memory serves me right, Murray Stokely wrote:

>   I think that it would be beneficial to create the release branch a
> few days earlier than normal, and release the third release candidate
> directly from the RELENG_4_5 branch.  This would allow us to do a
> number of things, such as :

Hi Murray!

Interesting idea.  I'm still thinking through the implications of this,
so let me play devil's advocate for a bit...

>   1. Update all of the release notes / documentation for the final
>      release, so that this can be reviewed by our users in RC3 to make
>      sure nothing is left out.

As far as the release documentation goes, we can go from the snapshot to
the full release by editing six lines in one file.  In the short time
I've been doing this, the biggest problems don't come from the version
number bump, but from some other thing that I screwed up somewhere else.
:-)  Having people find the "other things" would of course be very
helpful, but it isn't dependent on making the release branch.

Do you think it'll be confusing to do an RC3 that says "4.5-RELEASE" on
it?

>   2. Unfreeze RELENG_4, so that regular development can continue.

Bear in mind, I'm still playing the devil's advocate:  We've been in
code freeze for a month...what's another couple days?

Other things on my mind:

Looking over the release schedule, I see one item that raises a tiny
flag..."update man.cgi on the website".  It seems to involve a perl
script and some directories maintained outside the repository.  wosch
owns all of these...is he the person to make the necessary updates
(whatever they are), and does he know he's "on deck"?

The JP translation of the release notes needs to catch up a few revs,
but whether that happens before or after the branch probably doesn't
matter too much (hrs can always double-commit as needed).

Bruce.