Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:23:54 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What happened to my /proc/curproc/file?

On Friday, September 07, 2012 11:59:36 am Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 10:33:52AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:46:23 pm Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > > Is the dev+ino of what was exec()ed known, for another process? I might be
> > > able to get the client voluntarily submit its argv[0], then independently
> > > have the server validate it by stat()ing that, and comparing the result
> > > against what the kernel says the process's inode is.
> >
> > It's known in the kernel certainly.  I don't think we currently have any way
> > of exporting that info to userland however.
>
> It is, as  KF_FD_TYPE_TEXT by sysctl kern.proc.filedesc.

That doesn't include stat info though IIRC.  You can get a pathname that is
the same you would get from /proc/curproc/file (so it may fail and be empty),
but you don't get st_dev or st_ino.

I have thought that it might be useful for kinfo_file to include a full
'struct stat' and use the fo_stat() method of each file to fill it in, but
that is not present currently.

--
John Baldwin