Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 09:55:42 -0400
From:      Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to access SAMBA shares via WIN NT

Danny wrote:

> After you apply service pack 3 in Windows NT it starts using encrypted passwords
> FreeBSD uses plain text passwds
>
> You have to modify your registry to use plaintext passwds (recommended)
> You can uinstall IE 4 and not use Service Pack 3 (not recommended)
> You can read the help file for encrypted passwords = yes option.

Whoa! Don't go spelunking into your registry just yet, you can do a
ton of damage in a hurry there! I have a samba box at home and one at
the office which work just fine and no registry tweaks were performed
on any of the NT workstations or servers. Check to make sure your
directories that are shared/exported are properly configured with
permissions etc. And verify the user who is used for the connection.
Have you made the proper user with adduser or vipw?

--
Bob Collins
Driving my 95 Active/Sport TI