Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:31:43 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No subject was specified.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:41:38PM +0200, Willie Viljoen wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2003 20:36, someone, possibly Wolfpaw - Dale Corse,
> typed:
> > " now that people are making money from letting every Tom, Dick and
> > Harry, so to speak, get on "
> >
> > That sounds dangerously close to the theories of a dictator, or a
> > repressive government.. Russia and China come to mind. Why shouldn't they
> > get on? It is a public internet after all. I don't know what country your
> > in, but here we have something called the "Charter of Rights and
> > Freedoms" which is supposed to entail freedom and equality for all.
>
> Oh don't get me wrong, I don't mind anybody getting on, but it would be nice
> if ISPs would atleast take the responsibility to educate their users before
> they let them on.

I think this display of elitism is quite an inappropriate response.
People learn about the Internet by using it. The job of the ISP, is to
provide the connection, take precautions against abuse of the service
provided, either deliberately or by accident, and to provide some
appropriate support.

Aside from advice on being a good netizen, they are no more responsible
for educating their users than a car salesman is obliged to teach you
how to drive.

Come on, this is 2003, this is the InterNet, not the Arpanet.. :)

--
Regards
   Cliff