Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 18:18:41 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Capriotti'" <capriotti@geocities.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW  and pop3/irc - loooong wait

I would LOVE to have a copy of your rule set.

[=]  It's on it's way.  Please remember that it does
contain some rather sensitive information regarding
several of our networks, and is therefore *NOT* for
distribution.  You may use it, but you may NOT pass
it to anyone else, ok?

I'm spining my wheel here trying to set up mine with an extra problem:
Samba attempts to dial whenever the machine is started, and, probably,
everytime it has some ns lookup.
[=]  SAMBA???  I wasnt aware that samba could do that!
we use samba just for SMB services to our NT boxen...
Afraid I cant help you there!

To prevent this dialing, I have set porst udp/tcp 137-139 to ed1 only.

It worked great, but, now, for some reason which I could't understand till
now, calls from browsers, email clients, irc clients, are not causing ppp
to dial;

I found out that, if I allow port 53 - DNS - to be avaliable from any to
any, I can make them work, but then Samba starts ppp dialing again.

If you can send me your rule set, I will study it hard, to see if I can get
some light on this.

[=]
It sounds like you are telling me that you do not use a
local dns server.  If that is the case, then here is what's
going on: almost ALL inet services require active dns access,
and initiate it pretty much before *anything* else.  You are
probably seeing the dial-outs to a name server (yes, even if
it's for a local net!)

TIA !

[=]  My pleasure: call if you need any further help.

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org