Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2018 16:30:46 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>=20
wrote:
>=20
> On 12/23/18 3:41 PM, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have a port mkdesktop which simplifies the task of FreeBSD desktop=20
>> =7Fconfiguration. I was looking to enhance the port in its=20
>> capabilities =7Fand it would help me if I could know the various pkg's=20
>> and kld's =7Fneeded by the various chipsets.
>>=20
>> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>>=20
>> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>>=20
>> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
>> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
>> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
>> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |
>>=20
>> (** : Radeon appears to need radeon.ko and radeonkms.ko under=20
>> FreeBSD =7F11.x, and only radeonkms.ko in 12.0)
>>=20
>> I doubt if the above table is entirely correct and complete.
>> Could someone please fill me in on the missing tidbits so that I can=20
>> =7Fenhance my port (mkdesktop).
>>=20
>=20
> We've been trying to get the wiki in better shape in regards to AMD=20
> GPU and Intel i915 graphics.  Here are two tables which should be=20
> pretty up to date (although I suspect some of the newer CPU's need to=20
> be added):
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/AMD-GPU-Matrix
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Intel-GPU-Matrix

Hi,

The AMD matrix is the opposite of up to date, it shows support ending=20
at Sea Islands, while actually everything up to and including Polaris=20
works perfectly with drm-kmod, even Vega works.

Some other things that are really important and should be mentioned on=20
the wiki:

- radeonkms/amdgpu currently conflicts with the EFI framebuffer, have=20
to use 'hw.syscons.disable=3D1' to disable it (and lose graphics output=20
until the driver loads) as a workaround =E2=80=94=20
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/DEPRECATED-freebsd-base-graphics/issues/1=
70
- amdgpu currently requires the following patch to unbreak OpenCL,=20
Vulkan and Xwayland:=20
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues/33#issuecomment-422793245
=