Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:30:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rich Fox <rich@foxengines.net>
Subject:   Tomcat's dogging me...

Hi,

Okay, after many hours I have tomcat installed and I can connect to it's
webserver. Unfortunately, I want to connect to to Apache and have it hand
off the requests to tomcat.
Here's the background and the most current glitches...

FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
Jakarta-Tomcat 4.1.12
Apache 2.0.43
jdk1.2.2
mod_jk-3.3-ap20.so // does this even work with tomcat 4??

...and probably other things that I already forgot about.

Okay, after adding the following lines to my httpd.conf,

LoadModule jk_module libexec/apache2/mod_jk-3.3-ap20.so
AddModule mod_jk.c # why is this here? Isn't this compile-time stuff?
JkWorkersFile /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/conf/workers.properties
JkLogFile /usr/local/apache/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel info

when I try to start apache, I get:

Syntax error on line 277 of /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/mod_jk-3.3-ap20.so into server:
Shared object "libc.so.6" not found

The catch is libc.so.6 is on the system. The mod_jk that I got was the
binary, and I got it as binary on the recommendation of the documentation
on jakarta.apache.org. It's my guess, that the binary doesn't know where
to look for the shared object.

Can someone advise me on what to do here?

There seem to be huge inconsistencies between the online documentation at
jakarta and what you get when you acquire the software or the behaviors of
the software. Has anyone else noticed this? E.g. saying some files are in
the distibution when they aren't...

Also, I am interested in perusing the most basic functional configuration
file for  Tomcat. I tried to build my own by walking through the
documentation, but I never got Tomcat to run correctly. If you have a
simple, hand built file that you'd like to share, I'd love to look at it.

This installation has been so plagued with problems. Any assistance is
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich.