Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:03:31 -0500
From:      "Bill Sawyer" <bSawyer@sftp.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   emu10k1 gamepad support

I'm currently running 4.10-STABLE, and I have a SB Live 5.1 card in my =
box.  I've been dying to get my Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad working =
through the gamepad/MIDI port.  However, I couldn't figure out how to get =
the joy device working properly.  The original code appeared to support an =
ISA device, but this is a PCI card.

I have a license for OSS, so I've been using that for sound support for =
the past two weeks.  Dev informed me that OSS enables the joystick port on =
the gamepad, but doesn't load a driver for it.  I'm kinda stuck right now. =
 I can read code, but I don't know enough C to actually write sophisticated=
 code by myself, much less port drivers.  I'd like to find a driver that =
will interact with the OSS drivers, but I'd also like to work on finding a =
driver that will interact with the default pcm driver, so that individuals =
who wish to use FreeBSD's native sound system can benefit from having =
gamepad support.

Dev recommended I look into porting the emu10k1-gp driver to FreeBSD.  I =
had also seen a patch floating around a while ago on Usenet for modifying =
the actual joy driver, but that didn't really get me anywhere.  Does =
anybody have any suggestions?  Any help would be welcome.  If anybody is =
porting/has ported/is willing to port gamepad drivers to FreeBSD, that =
would definitely make my day.

I'd like to help the FreeBSD project move forward with its multimedia =
support.  Once I can get PCI gamepad support running, I won't have any =
reasons to boot into Windows anymore, and I'm sure my sentiment is shared.

Thanks,

Bill Sawyer
Information Systems
Six Flags St. Louis