Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 11:55:15 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

> Christoph P. Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> >
> > That's not my point. Sure I know of the fact that it's defined
> > by the EDITOR variable in .cshrc. It's just the fact that's
> > it's still set to ee in .cshrc after a fresh installation
> > requiring another handediting step to change it back to
> > something normal.
>
> Given the other things that have to be done anyway, it's hardly stressful.

One thing more to be done after an installation is another thing too much.
Excuse me when I insist here at a seemingly boring point. It should be
the objective to automate installation as much as possible.

It's bad enough that the X installation isn't yet at a point where it
can measure with Linux distributions. Putting more stumbling blocks
than necessary into the installation process is something in the
wrong direction.

I have great respect at Jordans efforts in the field of installation
and I know how hard it is to deliver fool proof user interfaces.

All I can do for now is suggest a change in
/root/.cshrc:

if ( -x /usr/bin/vi ) then
   setenv       EDITOR  vi
else
   setenv       EDITOR /stand/ee
fi

hoping that the discussion doesn't heat up at nits.