Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/1435: MFS in 2.1.5 doesn't work

The following reply was made to PR kern/1435; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To: wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc: cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:28:05 +0200 (MET DST)

 > <<On Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:08:39 +0200 (MET DST), cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de said:
 >
 > > mount -t mfs /dev/sd0b /tmp
 >
 > -> returns without error message, buit nothing is done.
 >
 > Note that `newfs' does a very bad job of returning errors in the MFS
 > case.  So far as I can tell, the only place where errors in MFS
 > creation are indicated is the syslog.  What's worse, it doesn't even
 > appear to return a correct error indication back to the parent
 > process.

 Right, in fact. Sorry, I didn't had console output.
 This message is printed when the mount commend is given:

 Jul 26 14:35:21 gilgamesch mfs: /tmp: Operation not supported by device

 /tmp is just a plain directory on a plain (non-ccd, nothing special)
 ffs partition. Trying other directories gives the same result. I tried
 with a freshly booted machine and in single-user mode.

 More important for me: Is there anyone with a working mfs on 2.1.5?

 Martin
 --
 Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>