Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:16:30 -0500
From:      mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick reference to Unix API (besides man pages)

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 06:59:57PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to have a quick reference to the basic Unix/Kernel/OS API calls
> I can use in a basic C program.  For example, I'm converting a script to
> C, and it's simple to check for file existence in a script.  I could use
> exec() to execute the script command itself, or I could call fopen() and
> see if the file exists.  But I'd like a quick-reference to see if a
> different function would be even better.
>
> Besides man pages, where can I look?

How about here:
http://www.hh.se/stud/d98rolb/ansi/main.html

Is this what you mean? It doesn't seem to be updated
with the newest standard, though. That's not really
a big deal, as it will be awhile before the C99
standard proliferates, anyway.

I'm unaware of a single reference that would have information
on non-standard functions from all the various sources.
Except the man pages, I guess. Do you know about man -k?

> Please CC me, I'm not subscribed.  Thanks.
>
> jm

mike