Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:02:20 +0000
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird AMD panics caused by VMware?!

My machine here at the office gets these a _lot_ whenever I'm running
vmware:

fault virtual address   = 0x80
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc0177da0
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc8f97ea0
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc8f97eac
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 963 (amd)
interrupt mask          = none
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15
15 15

This machine also seems to hang a lot, but it could be that the hangs
are
just these happening behind X so I can't see them.

They always happen with amd as the current process. They frequently
happen when
vmware is running. They never happen at other times.

I have tried swapping the memory out with fresh, and it didn't help. The
machine
is a PIII-450 with 128M of RAM. I can forward the kernel config if
anyone thinks
it would matter.

I have another machine at home that doesn't appear to get these. The
difference
between that machine and this one is that my home directory is handled
by AMD
on the bad machine, and my home directory is on a local disk on the good
one.
Also, the bad machine is using a real disk partition for NT, the good
one is
using a virtual partition for win98. And the bad machine has a UDMA33
ATA disk,
the good one has Ultra SCSI.