Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/25124: No man pages for quota.user(5) and/or quota.group(5)

The following reply was made to PR docs/25124; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:41:15 +0000

 On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:15:19PM -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
 > >Synopsis:       No man pages for quota.user(5) and/or quota.group(5)
 >
 > 	The quotacheck(8) man page refers to two magical files, i.e.
 > 	"quota.user" and "quota.group" but I have been unable to find
 > 	any man pages that describe the exact contents/formal/layout of
 > 	these magical files.

 They are (I think) binary files.  edquota(8) converts them in to a
 textual representation, lets you edit them, and converts them back.

 > 	Shouldn't there exist a quota.user(5) man page and a quota.group(5)
 > 	man page, specifying the format of these files?

 Probably not.  What there probably should be is a quota.user(5) and
 quota.group(5) which explains that these are binary files, and should be
 edited by edquota(8).  quotacheck(8) should probably mention that these
 files should be edited by edquota(8).

 Thoughts?