Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:50:47 -0400 (CDT)
From:      Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Anand Ranganathan <anand@blandings.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: netscape on 3.3-RELEASE

> The netscape port needs to use the aout version of libXt.so.6 - which is in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXt.so.6. How to get it to do that, I don't know. Sorry.

If you upgrade to the XFree86 distributions that comes bundled with
FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE you'll have such  a.out shared libraries installed and
you'll be able to run Netscape who is in a.out format. You'll also have to
either manually run ldconfig each time to include the a.out format shared
libraries like this:

ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aout

or set up the /etc/rc.conf or /etc/defaults/rc.conf variable
ldconfig_paths_aout to point to this and other directories where a.out
object format shared libraries are held.

I hope this helps.