Date:      Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:06:09 +0900
From:      Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@bbnest.net>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS + usb in trouble?

Borrowed USB stick today and did same excersize as below (# zpool create =
tank raidz da5{d,e,f}) with exactly same outcome.

On 19.01.2013, at 23:26, Alexander Nedotsukov <bland@bbnest.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>=20
> Just a note that after catch up with -current my zfs pool kissed good =
bye. I'll omit details about its last days and go strait to the final =
state:
>=20
> Creating pool from scratch:
>=20
> #zpool create tank raidz da{1..3}
> #zpool status
>  pool: tank
> state: ONLINE
>  scan: none requested
> config:
>=20
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da3     ONLINE       0     0     0
>=20
> errors: No known data errors
> #zfs list
> NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank   140K  3,56T  40,0K  /tank
>=20
> Let's use some space out of it.
>=20
> #dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/tank/foo
> ^C250939+0 records in
> 250938+0 records out
> 128480256 bytes transferred in 30.402453 secs (4225983 bytes/sec)
>=20
> Oops...
>=20
> #zpool status
>  pool: tank
> state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  =
An
> 	attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are =
unaffected.
> action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the =
errors
> 	using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
>   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
>  scan: scrub repaired 5K in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sat Jan 19 23:11:20 =
2013
> config:
>=20
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da1     ONLINE       0     0     1
> 	    da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    da3     ONLINE       0     0     1
>=20
> At some state (more data copied) it is enough to do another scrub run =
to trigger new cksum errors / unrecoverable file loss.
> I do not see any error messages from kernel and smartctl output has =
zero error counters.
> Full memtest cycle seems to be all right.
> Kernel built with gcc is suffering from same sympthoms.
> Tried to create raidz pool out of files and it worked fine (even =
placed one chunk to UFS made out of da0).=20