Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 07:28:54 +0000
From:      David Gerard <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ScanJet 4100c?

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:19:21PM -0500, Anish Mistry wrote:

>>Check out if sane supports it.  I'm in a similar situation with a HP
>>Scanjet 6200C.  The driver on the HP isn't actually a driver so the
>>scanner is useless in Windows.  I booted into FreeBSD, kldload
>>uscanner, and started xsane, it worked perfectly.  I haven't tried
>>the OCR part of xsane, but it should work.

> 	Whoa, the online sane docs say that 4100C is supported.  The next
> 	obstacle is the USB jack.  Even my 1999 test e-machine has a usb
> 	thing hidden somewhere in front.   This box, tao, is a barebones
> 	box I built in 08/2001; so I'm sure it's got a usb port
> 	somewhere.

If it doesn't have USB, you can buy a four-port USB 2.0 PCI card for a
few bucks. We did this on all our PCs and the Mac, because it's just so
much more convenient than messing about with USB hubs and a rat's nest
of cables.

> 	Do I have to build it into the kernel or what?  IOW, what's the
> 	deal with USB stuff?  I've had enough headbanging with ye olden
> 	COM[1234] ports.  But it's time to get my fingers wet.

USB Just Works in my experience. (And if you add a USB card, I've yet to
have one that didn't Just Work either.)

> 	PS:   FWIW: my friend said that something-OCR was built-in.

That I don't know about. There's a program called gocr, but I've never
managed to beat it into working properly ... still, being able to do the
scan itself is an excellent start, because in the worst case you can get
the TIFFs to a machine that does have good OCR.

- d.