Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:09:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.sochi.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Star Office and editor

Igor Roboul writes:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 08:44:50AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I haven't written it off yet, but I *need* a professional quality word
> > processor - yesterday. WP8 is minimally acceptable, but doesn't have
> > the typesetting capabilities I want. AbiWord has those capabilities,
> > but can't handle the page layout needs I have.
> Professional quality word processor is The TeX. But it is not WYSIWYG :-)
> But if you'll take some time to learn TeX/LaTeX you'll be very happy
> with low resources, speed of typing, guarantired results regardless of
> your priner/display/hardware

Actually, I've used TeX and LaTeX before. I even wrote a stripped-down
version for CP/M once upon a time. I generally prefer it to WP
packages (like we've been discussing) for things longer than a
half-dozen pages or so. A good DTP package - one with the kinds of
structuring control that TeX gives you is better, but hard to
find. However, contrary to someone's claim that Unix doesn't have high
quality WYSIWYG, such DTP tools have been around since before Windows.
Packages like FrameMaker and Interleaf appeared on Unix workstations
in the early 80s, and are still available for them. Until recently,
they haven't been available for Unix on Intel, but Adobe recently
released a beta of FrameMaker for Linux. With help from Sean
O'Connell, that's now working on my FreeBSD system.

Very, very cool!

	Thanx to all,
	<mike