Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:49:24 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.8 RC2 SMP hangs during boot on HP ProLiant DL380

Hi,

I just downloaded 4.8RC2 and recompiled with SMP and APIC enabled.
Instead of 4 CPUs (2 XEON with HT) only two are recognized and the
system hangs after initialising the second CPU:
  Last message (about ufs-mounting /dev/da0s1a) needs some time to
  appear. Num and Scroll-Buttons still work. Nothing else happens
  afterwards.

Works flawless with 4.7-STABLE from 17.02.2003 on DL360 and DL380.
I also have no problems with 4.8-RC from 07.03.2003 (on DL360).

4.8 RC2 in Single-Mode (GENERIC) makes no problems either.

I looked inside /usr/src/UPDATING but couldn't find anything about
additional options needed (iirc there were some mails about additional
options for HT to come).

Anyway, SMP-System shouldn't hang during boot.
Testing is restricted (production systems). Sorry.

If there is anything else I can do to test this, please let me know,
and I'll try to fit this in somehow ;-)

Regards,
Holger Kipp