Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:10:39 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: Misc Questions. (reposted yet again)

Yet again, I post only to the sender, not the list, sorry :)

Subject: Re: Misc Questions.
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:07:30 +0200
From: Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>

Some friendly corrections, sorry Bill :-)

On Saturday 25 January 2003 20:55, Bill Moran wrote:
> You'll get better response if you send each question as a seperate emai=
l,
> with an appropriate subject line for each one.  May sound silly, but a
> lot of people will delete messages with subjects like "Misc Questions"
> without even reading them.

I'm with you on the subjects, but he's perfectly fine putting it in one
e-mail, multiple mails would have annoyed me more.

> pura life CR wrote:
> > 1. Where can i get the source code of the "daemon" saver? I want to k=
now
> > how the logo can "jump" in the screen.
>
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/daemon/

As I pointed out in my previous post, it is at
/usr/src/sys/modules/syscons/daemon/daemon_saver.c

/usr/src/usr.sbin/daemon contains source for the daemon(8) utility used t=
daemonize a normally non-daemon process.

> > 2. What command can i use if I want to crypt a word and I see it
> > encrypoted just like the /etc/master.passwd file? For example, I want=
> > know how the password "foobar" would be encrypted in /etc/master.pass=
wd
> > if It would be my real passwd.
>
> I don't know the answer to this one, check the source.

See my other post, it's in libcrypt, more information is in crypt(3)

> > 3. Where can I get more informacion about svr4 and linux emulation?,
>
> The handbook is a good place to start:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html
>
> > What does this emulation consist on? Can I run linux and svr4 binarie=
s?.

> It's not really emulation.  In the case of Linux, it actually installs =
> RedHat kernel and uses it when the system calls differ from the native
> FreeBSD system calls.
> You should be able to run most Linux and srv4 binaries.  In my experien=
ce,
> I've only ever come across 1 Linux binary that wouldn't run (Pervasive
> database server).  I can't vouch for the srv4 compatibility, as I've ne=
ver
> used it.

Bill is spot on here. For more information, section 20 in the handbook (o=
ther
post)

--
Willie Viljoen