Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:41:06 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Christian Taylor <chtaylor@phazer.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AHA-1542CP with 4.0-STABLE

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my machine from 3.4 to 4.0-STABLE,
following the directions in the UPGRADING file.  First, let me say that
I'm not new to rebuilding the world, I've been doing it since 3.0 for
every version, not just on my box, but others as well.

Anyway, I'm having some PnP problems with my Adaptec AHA-1542CP SCSI
adapter.  I haven't done an installworld yet, but when I boot with the new
4.0 kernel, the adapter shows up like the following:

aha0: status reg test failed ff
unknown0: <SCSI Host Adapter> at port 0x330-0x333 irq 11 drq 5 on isa0

The irq and drq values change, depending on my PnP setup in the BIOS.
With 3.4, I had this set to a non-PnP OS, and manual resources (I also
have an ISA PnP ethernet card, which would grab irq 3 somehow if I didn't
set that irq to legacy in the BIOS.  Since this is the serial port, the
network card wouldn't work with that irq).

The SCSI adapter always got port 0x330-0x333, irq 10, drq 7 with 3.4.
Now, nothing seems to work with 4.0.  I know this card works, because I
know someone else who is using it just fine in their system.  However,
they most likely have different hardware, like the motherboard and BIOS,
and they installed 4.0 from the beginning, not upgrading.  I'm not sure if
that has anything to do with it.

A while back, January I think, on the -current mailing list, I remember
seeing this exact problem that someone was having.  I don't remember ever
seeing a real fix for it though.  I can't continue upgrading my system to
4.0, because all of my source is on a SCSI disk, so I need to get this
adapter working before I can continue.  Right now, I'm booting with my
original 3.4 kernel, and things are working ok.

If anyone can offer any help on this, I'd really appreciate it.  I've
tried everything from playing with BIOS settings, to trying to configure
the 1542CP by booting with -c, and looking for other kernel options that
might help.  Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

 -Christian

--