Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:03:28 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "Peter Harmsen" <wshamean115@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp client

"Peter Harmsen" writes:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1705B.53BB8E60
>
> Hello mem/sir,
>
> My ISP assignes the ip-addresses dynamically.
> Is it possible to get this working under freebsd?
> Instead of using a static ip address?
>
> with kind regards,
>
> Peter Harmsen
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1705B.53BB8E60

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello mem/sir,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My ISP assignes the ip-addresses=20
> dynamically.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is it possible to get this working =
> under=20
> freebsd?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Instead of using a static ip =
> address?</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>with kind regards,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peter =
> Harmsen</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C1705B.53BB8E60--

Today's first lesson is if you don't jump in with both feet and try it,
at the very least learn how to read the man pages which are available
online and on your local installation. As is the Handbook. Easy to
search the online versions as well.

Not only can FreeBSD connect to your ISP via DHCP but it can NAT and
DHCP for any other computer in your house without the ISP knowing.
Everything needed is included in the standard install. However I don't
recommend running a DHCP server for a little internal net.

Tonight's second lesson is that if you must use Outlook Express to post
to the mailing lists, don't send in HTML format. I don't know why your
message says it was sent on Sunday but hotmail received it today and it
arrived here about 6 hours ago. Your use of HTML is likely the reason
nobody (else) has answered yet.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net