Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:13:55 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <david.kanter@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Max partitions per slice

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:02:35AM -0500, David J. Kanter wrote:
> I understand that the maximum number of partitions per slice is 8, but I
> can't seem to get all 8.
>
> When I installed FreeBSD 4.1 RELEASE, I was only able to create this mouting
> scheme:
>
> /dev/ad0s2a on / (ufs, local)
> /dev/ad0s2d on /home (ufs, local)
> /dev/ad0s2g on /tmp (ufs, local)
> /dev/ad0s2e on /usr (ufs, local)
> /dev/ad0s2h on /usr/src (ufs, local)
> /dev/ad0s2f on /var (ufs, local)
>
> That's 7 to me (with swap...hmm, but with the all-encompassing "c" partition
> that does bring everything to 8). When I tried creating other partitions, I
> got an X next to them in disklabel.
>
> Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Ummm... No. It seems you have answered your own question. You put
filesystems on (1) a, (2) d, (3) e, (4) f, (5) g, and (6) h. You have
one swap partition at (7) b and the (8) c partition is reserved for
special use (representing the whole disk). Sounds like 8 to me.

One way to "save" on partitions is to make /tmp a MFS and just add the
space you reserved for it to the swap (b).