Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:18:01 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Michael Kenneth Henry <mhenry@black.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slashdot-like site

Michael Kenneth Henry wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         It is my impression that the new advocacy site
> (freebsd.tesserae.com) aims to be a slashdot-like site
> for FreeBSD. I would like to draw your attention to a
> site that already exists and is *very* slashdot-like
> (in fact I suspect it uses the same back-end):
>
>         http://osonline.org/bsd/
>
> Thought you might be interested.

	Hummm.  I hadn't ever come across that site before.  Although I thought
it was interesting that when I tried http://osonline.org/ it defaults to
/linux/  :-)

	As someone has already pointed out, the author claims that he wrote the
site himself in PHP.  Slashdot is written in Perl ( last time I looked
anyway :-)

	If you have suggestions for freebsd.tesserae.com you can email
advocacy@freebsd.tesserae.com with ideas comments, gripes, uplifting
statements, etc.  We've been working on adding new features to the site
and realize that many of the features that slashdot has are what people
want.  We'd also like to hear how you might like those features to be
done, and which ones you don't feel are important.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu