Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:45:56 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Allocate a page at interrupt time

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Matt Dillon wrote:

> >     All the cpu's don't get the interrupt, only one does.
>
> I think that you will end up taking an IPI (Inter Processor
> Interrupt) to shoot down the cache line during an invalidate
> cycle, when moving an interrupt processing thread from one
> CPU to another.

You have a lot of fantasy today.  You may want to consider
reading one of the white papers you referred us to with so
much enthusiasm and trying again later ;)

> >     Well, if you happen to have four NICs and four CPUs, and
> >     you are running them all full bore, I would say that
> >     wiring the NICs to the CPUs would be a good idea.  That
> >     seems like a rather specialized situation, though.
>
> I don't think so.  These days, interrupt overhead can come
> from many places,

Exactly. You never know where your interrupts come from, so
wiring them in a fixed setup really isn't going to do you
much good in the generic case.

Now if you want to optimise your source code for something
like a Mindcraft "benchmark" ...

regards,

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com/