Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:31:37 -0400
From:      CL <cl@yahoo.com>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows 2000 Host running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE guest

As far as I can tell, the extremely slow boot problem is specific to
VMWare for WindowsNT when running on the latest Athlon processors.
VMWare for Linux, running under FreeBSD host of the same Athlon
processor using the same guest image, does not have any problem.

If host Windows 2K is a Petium II or III, then it runs with no problem. I
think
VMWare should fix this for Athlon for its Window version of VMWare.
I say this because its Linux version works fine on an Athlon host.

There may be a quick fix on the FreeBSD side. I have a GENERIC FreeBSD
kernel built off CURRENT tree around March 2, 2001 that actually boots on
the Athlon host without problem. Unfortunately I didn't keep the version of
the source tree. Maybe someone on FreeBSD lists can tell what is causing
this problem (some code triggered a VMWare slow path on Athlon
processor ???)