Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:10:57 +0000
From:      Frank van Vliet <karin@root66.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Details of www.freebsd.org penetration

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 07:53:32AM -0000, John Howie wrote:
> Any chance you could let us know exactly what 'local root vulnerability' =
was
> exploited. As I recall it was originally stated that no weakness in FreeB=
SD
> itself had been leveraged. I appreciate that the hacker gained access to =
the
> system via CGI (and not a FreeBSD weakness) but once in he/she became root
> through some other means. Was this vulnerability a configuration issue or
> simply a known problem that had not been addressed?

Allthou we normaly only use weaknesses created by the server admins itself,=
=20
like cgi scripts made by them and configurations, this time local root was
gained by a local root exploit which was an 'error' of freebsd itself.=20
Advisory about it was promised to be send weeks ago, it is fixed in FreeBSD=
 4.2

Kris, this would be a nice timing for that advisory?

	Frank van Vliet alias {}
	Joost Pol alias nohican

=09
--=20