Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:28:25 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Oliver Braun <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: grip configuration

--==_Exmh_-1202159942P

> I hope you have a SCSI cdrom.
>
> Otherwise, you're entering a DMZ: there are patches to allow "ATAPICAM"
> so that the ATAPI driver can be accessed like the SCSI driver. However,
> there is some contentious situtation about this, of which I know not
> details, wherein the patches are apprently being blocked from inclusion
> in the kernel (or something like that).

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Toys have been thrown out of prams, dummies have been spat out. It's ugly.

> (If that is the case, then I can only suggest you search the mail
> archives for -STABLE and -CURRENT and then  possibly ask on -CURRENT.)

The patches are at:

	http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/

They work well for me, YMMV. Applying patches after every cvsup is irritating
however...

> Also, the implementation on Linux blows dead bears (or *did*) in terms
> of speed, reliability, and not-having-to-reboot-your-box;

No comment :)

> It's why I use SCSI CDROM/CDRW devices.

I do too, in desktop boxes. However, the options are more limited if you want
an internal CDRW/DVD combo in a laptop :)

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_-1202159942P

--==_Exmh_-1202159942P--