Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:43:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial break into debugger broken from 'cu' on -CURRENT?

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:

> The -current cu is a crock of tip.

It has more missing features, compared to the Taylor version, like the
unability to run an external program with stdin and stdout piped to
the remote end simultaneously (like a local "sz" Z-modem program),
plus it has this annoying startup message "can't open log file
/var/log/aculog" (why should it be able to open it at all?).

I wish the Taylor version hadn't been thrown overboard at all.  We
used to have two alternatives, cu and tip.  Now we only have tip and
tip. :(  (I doubt tip has actually less security bugs than Taylor cu.
If we threw out all the BSD-originating programs that once experienced
a security problem, we would rather quickly end up with a skeleton
that could hardly be named `Unix' anymore...)

> This is bug for bug compatible with the V7 cu except
> for the unusably slow speed of 9600.  For perfect brokenness, the
> default speed should be 300.

*ROTFL*