Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:41:17 -0800 ()
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@qcsn.com>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        Anton Angelo <anton@mojo.org>, Sean Harding <sharding@oregon.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies list [was: partition spanning multiple drives]

> Interesting....I'm running Slackware (version 3.4) Linux as we speak and I
> like it.  It's a bit hard to manage, but its fun.  I've only been using
> Linux for about 6 months. So far I have learned alot but I know that I
> have tons more to learn.  And the learning curve is steep for not matter
> what Unix distribution you use (I believe).  Although, I'd like to be more
> versatile and be able to work with any freenix (like FreeBSD, or Linux, or

	Plus it makes those of use who make a living off of computers a
tad bit more employable by more companies...*grin*

> whatever).  The one thing about Linux that I do like is the support,
> there's tons of it (magazines, books, user groups, etc).

	I have to agree here, Linux seems to have a lot more support, but
IMHO, that's because of who uses it. Your 'normal' Linux user seems to be
of the self taught school of computing. They learn by playing around with
it and hacking it. Whereas your 'normal' FreeBSD user seems to a
professional who relies upon it for buisness purposes. But, that's also
just my impression of things...:)

> You've said that FreeBSD is more unstable....hmmmm....I've heard
> otherwise.  I've heard that FreeBSD is more stable than Linux.  But I
> guess that's a religous debate (maybe).  I guess it's sort of along the
> lines on FreeBSD is better than Linux, or vise versa.  The way I see it is
> that user have to keep an open mind and just use what the feel comfortable
> with.

	Personally, I've seen both ways, though I have to say that FreeBSD
is a lot more stable the Linux. While Linux is coded by a lot of people
world wide, all trying to make it better, and get the latest, greatest
features, it sometimes just thrown together. I give a very jaded look at
any piece of code 'hacked in two hours to fulfill a need for a major
unstability in the kernal' *grin* Or something like that. Again, the self
taught part comes in here, while I know they're probally a very good
programmer, theres the chance they misinterpet how something actually
works.
	On the other hand, FreeBSD is being written by profressional
software developers who've not only written other OS's, but have and are
involved in making standards, such as PNP, EISA, PCI, etc.
	Both directions have their good and bad points. I've been using a
PNP Modem in a Linux system as a Modem server for over a year now, BUT the
system sometimes hangs up, or seems to slow down on through-put for no
apparent reason. Reboot the computer, and the problem disappears. Linux
seems to be a what I call a 'fiddle with it system.' Whereas with FreeBSD,
it's extremly stable.
	On still another hand, (*grin* how many hands do I have? )
compared to anything Microsoft has released, they far superier in mission
critical applications. It's an established fact in my workplace, that you
MUST reboot a computer with a Microsoft product at least once every
three-four days, preferablly every day. Linux seems to need to be rebooted
once every three-six months, and FreeBSD... well... *grin*

> Well, I'm pretty much rambling on here. I just got out of work and I'm
> pretty tired.  Hell, I dDon't really know if there was a

	As am I on the first, and just about to go to on the second...:)

> One more thing.  One thing I've been noticing is that alot of people bash
> Microsoft because they have monopoly or some crap.  You know, one reason
> why I'm even interested in FreeBSD is because I want to stray away a bit
> from Linux because they seem to be monopolizing the free-unix gig with all

	My reasons for wanting to know FreeBSD, is I want to remove all
Microsoft Products from my home network, and the one at work to save
myself and my employer some major money! :)

					Rick Hamell