Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:04:42 +0200
From:      "Peter Salvage" <wizard@sybaweb.co.za>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ifconfig question

Hi all

Please forgive the long-ish post.

We are using a FreeBSD box with 2 nic's in it, which is running ipfw.
Yesterday, I had to power down the box to place it into a new server
cabinet. Since switching it back on, the hubs that both nic's are connected
to, show collision lights for those ports only, permanently. In other words,
the collision lights are on ALL the time. My concern is that I have a media
mis-match, as all hubs are half-duplex by design and both cards are running
full-duplex.

I did an ifconfig -a for the two nic's (accton cheetah 10/100) and this is
the result for both nic's:

rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast x.x.x.x
         ether 00:10:h5:42:7d:69
         media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX (hw loopback)
rl1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet x.x.x.x netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast x.x.x.x
         ether 00:10:h5:42:7b:f1
         media: autoselect (none) status: active
         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX (hw loopback)

Looking through the man page for ifconfig, it appears I need to do the
following for both interfaces:
ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP
ifconfig rl1 media 10baseT/UTP

Am I correct? Will I lose the IP addresses and/or other parameters by typing
the above commands in?
</mild panic>

TIA
Peter Salvage