Date:      10 Feb 1997 19:31:17 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial X servers for FreeBSD

>> On Sun, 9 Feb 1997 06:51:30 -0400 (AST), The Hermit Hacker
>> <scrappy@hub.org> said:

    THH> On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Hr.Ladavac wrote:
    >> E-mail message from Peter Mutsaers contained:
    >> >
    >> > Which commercial X servers are available for FreeBSD?
    >> >
    >> > I need one since XFree doesn't support my laptop with TFT and cirrus
    >> > logic 7543 well enough (no good centering). Also, text modes are
    >> > completely messed when I run the current (3.2 or 3.2A) XFree.
    >> >
    >> > I tried the demo of Accelerated X and it runs fine. But it is way too
    >> > expensive ($250).
    >>
    >> Up to recently it was $99 for personal unices (*BSD and Linux)  Since
    >> when did that change?
    >>

    THH> And ppl wonder why commercial software developers stay away
    THH> from the Free Unix(es)?

$250 is just too much for just a personal laptop for home use only.

Then I'd rather use the somewhat broken Xfree server (for my cl7543)
and see that a good version will appear soon. The performance doesn't
really matter to me.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have