Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 03:15:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

>    In many cases, Terry's solutions to the problems that he is trying to
> solve aren't the ones we want to adopt.

The standard reasoning against this was:

	1)	Don't want divergence from NetBSD
	2)	Don't want divergence from 4.4-Lite because of 4.4-Lite2
	3)	Don't want to integrate 4.4-Lite2 yet (code languished
		1.5 years after Lite2 release before FreeBSD integration)
	4)	Existing committers must understand everything that
		non-committers want committed.

> There are far more instances where Kirk McKusick and other people
> in-the-know have objected to the direction that Terry wants to take
> us than there are in favor.

I've talked to Kirk about many of the changes since I've been in the
Bay Area, and you are misquoting him here.  He has agreed that
a number of the layering issues I have been harping on since day one
are, in fact, legitimate problems.

I've also talked to John Heidemann, who architected the FS stacking
code in the first place, and he agrees that there are problems with
the 4.4 integration of his source code, which he donated from the
Ficus project.

> Terry's unwillingness to carefully explain/justify the changes that
> he proposes in a manor that reasonable kernel developers can
> understand has further resulted in a serious lack of trust. For
> these reasons it's the unanimous opinion of the core team that
> Terry not be given commit privileges.

Not to mention that I've never asked for them, and when I was initially
offered them badk in 1994, I declined on the basis that, as a USL
employee at the time, I would potentially be a legal liability to the
project that USL could use to claim contamination by way of FreeBSD
use of USL intellectual property.

I'll be happy to explain anything you have questions about.  As far
as justification goes, well, "reasonable kernel hackers" aren't
terribly interested in FS code, except when someone else goes to
do something to it, then they get incredibly interested.  Otherwise
there would be more "resonable kernel hackers" actually writing FS
code.

It's also a bit hard to justify "commit this so I can better do
research on what I think should be done next so I can answer your
questions about 'what should be done next?'".  8-).

It's strange that commits that seem to be diddles to other people
are not allowed: if they have no effect they can perceive, then
they certainly have no harm, either.  Harm requires effect to
occur.  The only rationale against these has been "we fear change,
specifically in the form of divergence".  Now that that's blown
out, so long as it's possible to revert such changes if they are seen
to have a detrimental effect, I don't see why there's a problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.