Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:22:46 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Cc:        Erin <Kahn@deadbbs.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl/cgi Authorintg tools

	I don't want to start a holy war here, and in fact, I wouldn't mind to
find a fancy editor myself. I've stuck with vi because it's available on
all the platforms we use at work.

> Try Emacs. A brief list of features:

	I'ved used emacs, every time I use it I feel like I've dragged out my
entire whomping multi-hundred dollar tool kit to drive a screw.

>  * syntax coloring

	I have to say, I kind of miss this. I could drag out vim, but
installing it on X large number of other machines just doesn't do it for
me.

>  * on-the-fly expressions indenting

	Our vi, and in fact almost all implementations of vi support this. I
have the following in my .bashrc:

export EXINIT='set autoindent iclower'

which has made my life immensely easier.

>  * it shows you matching brackets while you're typing (e.g. when you
>    type ')' emacs will rapidly move the cursor to the matching '('
>    and then returns to the insertion point)

	vi does this as well. Anyone who uses vi regularly would be well served
by /usr/ports/editors/vilearn. It's a self-paced tutorial that will
teach you some simple tricks that will undoubtedly save you hours of
frustration.

Good luck,

Doug
--