Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:57:56 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        adstro@stny.rr.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade bus error

--XOIedfhf+7KOe/yw

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:49:46PM -0400, adstro@stny.rr.com wrote:

> I had been getting the bus error when running portupgrade.  I did
> poking around and found a solution on a FreeBSD mailing list.  The
> solution was to "setenv PORTS_DBDRIVER bdb1_hash".  This seems to
> work.  My question, is this the best solution to use for the time
> being?

I think so.  The bug is in the Berkeley DB v 1.65 btree code in the
base system -- the BDB v1.65 *hash* implementation is not affected.
About the only downside is that the various portsdb or portupgrade
operations might take a few milliseconds longer.  There have been
three or so patches of various degrees of efficacy put up for testing
on freebsd-current@... by Jun Kuriyama (the latest being a port of
what the netbsd folks did to fix this problem, which is probably going
to do the trick).  Chances are this is going to be fixed in 6-CURRENT
fairly soon, and MFC'd to RELENG_5, RELENG_4 and maybe even
RELENG_4_10 within a few days of that.  Once you've updated to a
patched base system, you can revert to normal operation simply by not
setting that environment variable any more.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=09

--=20
                                                      Savill Way