Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 21:31:15 -0400
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        Graywane <graywane@home.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-RW IDE - CPU requirements

Thanks for the info.  I was surprised by a recent evaluation of CD-RW
devices in a local magazine, that specified different levels of
Pentium 2 and 3 for various drives as the minimum acceptable - under
Windows, of course.  I am quite happy to make sure the machine is
not doing anything else while I write a CD.

Graywane wrote:

> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 12:01:48PM -0400, Mike.Jeays@statcan.ca wrote:
> > Has anyone succeeded in running an IDE CD-RW device on a Pentium 120?  I
> > am not sure if the CPU speed is adequate to keep up the required data
> > transfer rate.
>
> You can saturate a PCI bus with an old 386 much less a Pentium 120. Any CDRW
> you get will be incredibly slow compared to the CPU. Just make sure you have
> enough RAM so that you don't swap heavily while writing your CD's. Free
> memory and not running programs that read/write the other drives is far more
> important than processor speed.
>
> As for what drive to get, I have a PLEXTOR CD-RW PX-W1210A (32/12/10) and am
> very happy with it.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Note: See http://www.members.home.net/graywane/ for PGP information.

Mike Jeays : System Development Division, Statistics Canada
14-O R. H. Coats Building, Holland Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6
Voice (613)-951-9929  FAX 951-0607
Web page : http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ad161